Sunday, June 19, 2011

V's Thai Cuisine
226 West Bitters Road, Suite 124
San Antonio, TX 78216
210.495.0122
www.vsthaicuisine.com


A friend recommended V's Thai to me a couple weeks ago. It's a small, family-owned restaurant next door to the Embassy Theater on Bitters.

I ordered the Pad Thai, something I order at every Thai restaurant I visit. I love Pad Thai. Plus, ordering the same thing everywhere I go allows easy comparison.

As do most Thai restaurants, V's allows you to set the spiciness level of the dish. I went for a four out of five. I've learned NEVER to order the spiciest level on a first visit (a story for another time).

The prices were acceptable--not the cheapest on the planet, but by no means expensive. The service was friendly (something you know means a lot to me!) and prompt. The Pad Thai...well it was different.

I've never had overcooked Pad Thai noodles before, but I think that's what happened. It didn't taste bad. In fact, it was pretty good. But the consistency was definitely different, and there were a couple discolored noodles on my plate--burned maybe?

Anyhoo, I believe everyone is allowed a bad day, so I went back this weekend with Helen to give V's a second chance in my belly. Guess what I ordered.


The portion size is bigger than the picture shows; I forgot to get a pic until I had eaten about a third of what was on the plate. Did I mention how much I like Pad Thai?


This time the Pad Thai was much better. Very tasty. Not as good as Mon's Thai on Broadway, and NOWHERE near as good as Rock San on DeZavala, but easily on par with most other Thai restaurants I've frequented.

Oh, and I ordered spiciness level FIVE. It was a perfect level of heat for me.

Bottom line:
Service great
Price acceptable
Food iffy the first time, much better the second.
If you like Thai, I'd recommend V's before or after a movie at the Embassy. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't drive out of my way to eat there.

Mentioned in this post:
Mon Thai Bistro and Sushi
www.monsthai.com

Rock San Sushi and Thai Bistro
www.rocksanrestaurant.com

The Embassy theater
www.santikos.com/embassyex.php





Is it ok to yell 'movie' in a crowded firehouse?

No comments: